How Sentinel’s Tanker Auto Braking Reversing Aids Will Help You
Every tanker operator worries about the risk of injury to personnel or members of the public when their vehicle is on the streets or making deliveries. Reversing manoeuvres can’t be avoided, increasing the risk of accidents.
Sentinel’s ADR-compliant Safetystop auto-braking and Alerter reversing aids save the risk of damage to tankers. Much more importantly, they protect personnel and members of the public from injury and death. Used as an aid to responsible driving, Sentinel’s solutions save lives.
How Does Sentinel’s Safetystop Auto-Brake Reversing System Work?
- Ultrasonic or radar sensors are fitted to the rear of the tanker.
- When reversing, the sensors identify the distance to a potential hazard and apply the vehicle’s brakes automatically if the hazard is too close.
- An additional warning buzzer and light system in the cab also alerts the driver to the hazard.
- The standard Safetystop utilises the parking brake airline. For tank trailers, Safetystop EBS plugs straight into the trailer’s EBS system. It was developed in conjunction with leading EBS manufacturers, who certify Sentinel’s engineers to program EBS systems.
- This system has been designed not to restrict normal operational activity of the vehicle.
How Does Sentinel’s Alerter Reversing System Work?
- Ultrasonic or radar sensors are fitted to the rear of the truck.
- When reversing the sensors identify the distance to a potential hazard and warn the driver if the truck is getting too close to the hazard. When specifying the system, customers operating rigid tankers are able to choose which warning method they would prefer:
Inside Cab Warning:
A buzzer and light system fitted inside the cab of a rigid tanker warns the driver of the hazard.
Outside Cab Warning:
An LED traffic light system is fitted on the vehicle’s body or on the tank trailer’s bulkhead. This provides the driver with a visual display of how far the truck is away from the hazard. The LED traffic lights system also incorporates night time dimming.
On tank trailers, an additional audible warning of an obstruction is provided by a loud sounder (103db) that is mounted on the bulk head. The sounder is switched automatically to night- silent operation when side lights are on.
If the obstacle moves away from the truck and is no longer a danger, the system resets itself.
This system has been designed not to restrict normal operational activity of the truck.
Benefits of Both Systems
- Help prevent injury to personnel and members of the public while the truck is reversing.
- Help prevent damage to the truck and to third-party property while reversing.
- Can reduce potential legal claims caused by damage and injury resulting from reversing accidents.
- Help compliance with Health and Safety Executive guidelines on safe reversing of heavy vehicles.
- All systems are fully ADR-compliant.
- Have been validated as the preferred choice of leading tanker operators.
- Can be installed as an option on new vehicles, or easily retrofitted to in-service vehicles by our team of experienced engineers.
- Can be supported by on-site driver training to ensure optimal operation.
- Come with the reassurance of an extendable one-year warranty.
Sentinel Systems Save Lives